Re: Braidwood template for response to NuSAG

From: Jonathan Link (link@fnal.gov)
Date: Thu Jun 23 2005 - 17:04:07 CDT

Hi Dick,

Last summer we had an engineer here at Fermilab do a fluid dynamics
calculation of maintaining the temperature of the inner volume by
flowing chilled fluid in the buffer. This was shown to be very
effective at maintain the target temperature (even with relatively low
flow rates. The calculation assumed going from a fixed temperature
underground to one that was 20 degrees (I think) higher at the surface
and staying there for one full 24 hour period. At any rate the details
of exposure are not important because it turned out that one could
maintain that inner temperature indefinitely. As for electronics, based
on our experience with MiniBoone one must maintain the flow of cooling
air or the temperature can change quite rapidly. Similarly, when one
wishes to cool the electronics (say after an HVAC failure) it happens on
a time scale of minutes.

-Jon